Saturday 28 June 2008

Changed my mind...again. Last time, I swear!!

So I'm no longer going to Sheridan. I liked the program, but it wasn't my first choice. I did, however, get into my first choice, which was Mohawk College in Hamilton. So I'll start Advertising and Communications Media in September. I like this program better, 'cause it mixes advertising with PR and marketing. So I'm quite happy. I'm planning to stick to this one.

There's only two small problems with this program. One, tuition is due super soon. Two, it's in Hamilton. I think I can deal with both of them, but we'll have to see how that goes.

So for problem one. I'm planning to basically walk into a job agency and tell them that I'm willing to work any job, any shift, anywhere, as long as it pays well. That way, I'll have enough for tuition when I need it. Also, as long as I'm working and trying to get it, if I'm a little bit short of money, both Tom and Nelson have said they'll help me with what they can. I'm hoping to be able to do it all myself, but it's nice to know that there's ppl willing to help. I mean, tuition is only about $3,000 so it's not super bad.

That it's in Hamilton is another problem. It's not super far, but with the price of gas, it won't be cheap. Also, I'll have to pay for parking, which is another $400 or so. I figure as long as I save some money, I'll be okay at first, and I'll have to get a job anyways to keep paying the car and insurance, which is another $650 a month all together. So hopefully that works out.

I also need to save money for my Los Angeles/Tijuana trip with Jarx. I think he wants to go sometime in October, so I'll need it pretty soon. And then in January I'm gonna need the money for the plane ticket to Poland for my trip with Kasia and Tom. So cross your fingers that I can do it all. In the end, if I have to sacrifice one and just go on on trip, I'll go on the Poland trip. LA and TJ will still be there, but the party that's being planned in Poland won't be.

But yeah, so I'm not gonna worry about it right now. I'm gonna focus on working towards tuition. I know that if I'm willing to do any work it won't be too hard for the agency to place me. I mean, Jose went in and got a job for the next day!! So I should be okay. Now, saving it is a diff story. I'm horrible with that. I'll have to try, though. No more shopping for me!!

Anyways, bedtime. Nighty night!!
~Susana

1 comment:

  1. Hey Suz

    I just found your blog.
    I'm an Advertising student at Mohawk, too and I just finished my first year. I think you made a great decision; this program is so much fun. You get a taste of both business/marketing and creative aspects. But mostly, the instructors are all awesome people who make you feel very capable and a little professional-in-training.

    And if you're worried about being bored here in Hamilton, don't worry. There's a lot of stuff to do here. If you're worried about being far away from the "big city" where the jobs are.. well.. The instructors in our department keep finding excuses to bring in grads from Toronto or people who aren't even from Mohawk but are in the industry. So if you can be personable and leave an impact on them, you're going to make a lot of Toronto contacts before you get out of here. A bunch of my friends who just graduated last month got AMAZING jobs through their school contacts.

    So don't worry about it much, ok? And definitely try to come to Week of Welcome events. This way you'll know all your instructors before you even step into the classroom.
    Can't wait to see you in September,
    Violet

    ReplyDelete