Monday 13 July 2009

Aderin is where I live now.

So I'm writing a fantasy novel. I haven't really started writing it yet, but I've got a lot of the prep work done. It's taken quite a few days of almost non-stop work, but here's what I have so far:
  • I've invented a world. It's called Aderin. Six races live on it. The elves live on Evinthal.
  • I have a map for it. It's pretty.
  • I have 16 characters so far, though most of them are not as developed as I'd like.
  • I have the basic outline for both the main plot and the secondary plot.
  • I've sorted out all the races and their general abilities.
  • I have the family histories of my main characters.

There's still a million things I have to do, though. Finish the characters, finalize what life is like in their world, connect the smaller story ideas to the main one, and so on. I also have to plan out the end, because I plan to write more than one book. Also, I have to figure out how politics, commerce, education, medicine, laws, food, history, ans so many other things work for each race. And there's seven races. And come up with a few words in each of their languages, so I can use them throughout the story. And I need to come up with some creatures, both magical and non-magical.

And that's all before I start writing the actual story.

It's gonna take quite a bit of research. So much that I'm actually thinking of going to a library. The Internet is great and all, but I'd like a few more specialized books. I need to look into the middle ages, since I'm basing a lot of everyday life on it. I need a book on the medicinal uses of plants, since I'm definitely using that a lot. Also, medieval weapons are important, so I should look into those.

So far, the hardest has been coming up with names for my characters. You have no idea how hard it is to come up with names that don't sound like Mark or Steve. They have to be interesting sounding and not as common. Place names are also a pain in the ass. Holy shit, it's crazy to come up with names for cities, lakes, mountains, and forests. Thank god for websites and fantasy name generators!! Also, thank god that Nelson and Jack play fantasy games and suggested some names.

Funny enough, the map was the easiest. I just kinda took a paper and drew randomly. They I looked at it and just improved parts. Then I labeled it. It's not perfect or even set in stone yet, but working on it was definitely interesting.

I'm not even really sure if this book is gonna go anywhere. I may just write it and no one ever reads it. Maybe I type it and I never print it. But the way I figure it, I'm wasting my time doing nothing all day. So if this is a waste of time, at least I haven't wasted any more time than I would have if I wasn't writing it. And this way, at least I'm keeping busy and doing something interesting. Hopefully something will come of it.

Anyways, I'm off to read some more fan fiction and then work on my world some more. Seriously, I have so many ideas for it that I've been barely sleeping, just writing and researching and editing for it. It's pretty insane. I haven't even had time to talk to anyone, I've been so single-minded. I figured this was a good way to take a quick break from my story and update everyone at once so they don't think I've died. Well, everyone who reads this. I'm not sure who does, but if you do, now you know why I don't call.

Feel free to let me know if you have any ideas you want me to use, or some great character you want to see in it. Or maybe some names?? I'd appreciate those. Lots of those. Or if you feel you are an expert on the middle ages, magic, fantasy, or writing. I'm also looking for someone to bounce ideas off of, get some feedback, read what I write and let me know what they think. So if you fit that, feel free to volunteer your services.

And here is a question to ponder: if some elves have been twisted into something evil, and have been this way for thousands of years now, are they considered a different race?? And can they but rebel and be good, or are they doomed to be evil until they die??

Also, I'm currently obsessed with a Black Eyed Peas song, "I Gotta Feeling," and a Beyonce song, "Halo." Yes, I know, hell has frozen over. I'm as shocked as you are.

Okay, off now. Bye bye.

~Susana

No comments:

Post a Comment