Tuesday 16 July 2013

Blogging Challenge: De-stressing

5. How do you de-stress?

This one is fairly similar to the last blog challenge question, but I'll answer it anyways.

Well, considering I spend most of my life stressed out and in a somewhat freaking out mode, de-stressing doesn't come all that easy.  There are a few things I can do, however, that help me to calm down and just take a breath.

1. The beach and swimming.  Sadly, seeing as I live in Toronto, there is no ocean beach or even really nice, clean, swimable area nearby, so my favourite place is Sauble Beach.  At about 2 1/2 - 3 hours away (depending on traffic and how you drive), it's a beautiful place to go.

Panorama of Sauble Beach.

2. Organizing and decorating and cleaning.  Yes, I know it seems weird, but when I'm really stressed, cleaning my space helps.  It's like I'm metaphorically cleaning my head as I throw out garbage and make space around me and place everything where it should go in a neat and orderly fashion.  Usually, this is followed by me re-decorating or moving stuff around and putting new stuff up.

3. Reading. Unfortunately, this has been loosing its calming factor lately.  I get agitated and distracted much easier than I used to.  Although I did just start a new book (well, new to me) called The Baghdad Blogger by Salam Pax, which is pretty freaking interesting.  I've also started to read World War Z by Max Brooks, and I've got a copy of The Cuckoo's Calling by Roberth Galbraith (a.k.a. JK Rowling) waiting for me.

4. Driving.  Preferably by myself and for a fair distance, with music blasting and singing as loud as I can possibly sing.  Even better if this ends at a beach.  I also like driving adventures with friends, where we just go, without thought to where.  It leads to some pretty interesting places!!

5. Tobermory.  I definitely de-stress there. It's my favourite place in the world, and I'd go there any time, for however long, with whoever wants to see it.  Just hike to a nice spot and sit down and stare out at the lake.  It's a good feeling, especially if you've worked hard to hike to that spot.  And the water, regardless of how cold it is, is amazing.  Clear blue, it looks like you could be in the Caribbean.  Here's a few pics I took on the latest trip there for your viewing pleasure:


The view at Pebble Beach.

The view on the way to Cave Point, the highest point in the park.

Tom and Kacper enjoying the rocks (and waves) and Half Dump Log.

Kacper walking into the water at Half Dump Log.

That's all I can really think of.  Nothing lately has really been helping me calm down, as money and work and life have become an incredible weight on my shoulders.  The week in Tobermory helped, but now it's back to applying for jobs and getting my life back on track. 


No comments:

Post a Comment