Monday 30 April 2012

The (few!!) poems that reach my heart.

I heard this poem in a movie today ("In My Country," if you're wondering), and I loved it. Abso-freaking-lutely LOVED it. I'm now trying to find a way to put it up on my wall somehow: either in a print, or in stencil, or wire, or something.  Anything!!  LOVED IT.
Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly
-Langston Hughes
Of course, I had to share it.  It's only half a poem, but the second half doesn't really add anything for me, so I'm good with just those four lines. You can read the rest here if you're interested. You can also read all about Langston Hughes here or read more of his poetry here.

LOVE IT.

I'm not usually big on poetry, but I loved this one. I can now add it to the very few poems I love.
The only other one I love to death is The Riddle of Strider by J.R.R. Tolkien:
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
Sadly, it wasn't used in the movies where it should have been. The second half was said by Arwen during the Return of The King. I think it was when they were fixing the sword to give to Aragorn. But seriously, I don't care what kind of nerd it makes me, but it is my favourite poem ever.

What else do I love?? Kid Cudi's lyrics (amazing!!) and one unfrogettable line in Bilbo Baggin's birthday speech ("I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.").

No comments:

Post a Comment