Monday 2 April 2012

Time for a bedroom update??

So for a while now I've been wanting to redo my bedroom.  I want it to look nice, like it belongs to an adult and not a design-challenged teenager.

The problem is that I want to move as soon as I can afford it.  End of summer, maybe September.  The gives me enough time to find a job and get past the probation period.  That way, I won't have the problem where I'm unemployed but have to pay rent and bills and shit.

But is it worth doing things to my room if I'm planning to move out within the next six months??  Probably not, right??

I may, however, do some changes that I can take with me. There's a few things I can think of to do that would make the room look better for now, and I think I can do them cheaply.  And since I can take them with me, I can incorporate them into whatever awesomeness I decide on later.

I really want to make a new headboard for my bed.  It's a fairly cheap Ikea bed, so it does a good job as far as beds go, but it's not super pretty.  The headboard that it has right now is basically untreated wood (see picture).  What I want to do is make a pretty fabric headboard and attach it to the wooden one the bed already has.  I've found a few different styles, and I think the one I'm gonna go for is either some sort of pattern print or maybe a plain one, but with some sort of button/tack decorations.  I haven't decided yet.  Maybe I should go look at some fabric, then decide?? 

I also found a site that shows me how to make a duvet cover out of any blanket I find, which is awesome!!  A lot of the duvet covers I like are way outside my current budget, and those I can afford aren't anything I like.   So the idea of finding a nice, warm, preferably fuzzy blanket and making it into a cover for my duvet makes me happy.  Of course I'll also have to make matching pillows.  Or maybe not matching.  I'm not big on matchy colours, as most of you know.  Not because I'm making a statement or 'cause it's my style, but because I don't care and/or I fail at anything design/style related.  Maybe I'll make fairly plain pillowcases that have words on them!!  Maybe from a book, maybe something funny, maybe just words I like!!  Ooooh, I like that plan.  Yes, that's what I'll do then.

I also want to change my necklace holder, since mine broke when I moved.  I found this awesome idea, which is basically just a towel holder.  You then use shower curtain holders to hold each necklace.  I think it's pretty freaking genius!!  That reminds me: I should actually start actually wearing my jewelry.

To be honest, I have a bunch of other small things I want to do.  Most of them I found on Pinterest, but a few I've been wanting to do for a while.

I'd like to do something with my dresser. Paint it, maybe??  It's not real wood, I don't think, so I'm not sure how that would end up.  But I guess we'll see, right??  The mirror that's attached to it is also kinda boring, but I have no idea how to dress that one up.  I'll keep looking and see what I can find. 

I'd really like to do a stencil on the wall, but I guess that can wait until I move.  I'd also like to make better curtains, or at least get a new curtain rod, but that may also just have to wait.

The picture on the right is something I'd definitely like to put on my wall. It's a picture made out of string. I'm thinking hearts or stars work.  I guess the colour would be whatever I decide to make my colour for the room (I'm still undecided between fuchsia, teal, and purple).

I might also teach myself (through Google, of course!!) how to make a few throw pillows and cushiony things for the bed.   I think I might need to invest in a sewing machine.  Anyone know where I can get one cheap??

I'm open to ideas, if anyone has anything they think I should do.  I just want it to look nicer.

And I'm also thinking of getting rid of all my movies.  Well, putting them away, not getting rid of them.  That'd be crazy!!!  Just putting some, maybe half, away and bringing up some books.  Or maybe just keeping one shelf of movies up here.  I can always bring them back out when I have a living room to put them in.  So maybe bringing up some books.  Or maybe just some (gasp!!) empty space.

I just hope I'll actually get around to doing all these things.  I think we all know how awesome I am at planning and preparing for things, and just how awesome I am at not finishing.  But I'll try.  I really do think that having a nice, comfy, homey space would make me feel happier and more relaxed, even if it is only for now.  Although I guess that means I'd also have to keep it clean...

No comments:

Post a Comment