Thursday 3 May 2012

My mom's chicken soup is better than your mom's chicken soup.

So I wanted to talk to you about chicken soup.  Yes, chicken soup.  The food you're supposed to eat when you're sick, when you're down, when you're not feeling well.

The sad part is, most of the chicken soup I've seen here is kinda sad.  A lot of it is the noodles in water with some chicken flavour.  Sometimes they'll have a bit of veggies, but it's not a lot.

But my mom's chicken soup has always been really freaking awesome.  It's fantastic.  Whenever I make it, it comes out more like stew than soup, but I kinda like it that way.  But I though I'd share the recipe, for those that are interested.

The ingredients may seem a little weird, but that's okay.  And to be honest, you can play with the amounts as much as you want.

So here's what you do:
1. Fill a big pot with water.  Put in the onion, garlic, chicken stock, salt, and skinless chicken.  Let it boil, and leave it for about 20 minutes.

2. Remove the chicken.  Put aside.

4. Put in the diced potatoes, sliced zucchini, and the sliced carrot.  Feel free to add more or less of each vegetable as you want.  Let that boil, and leave for about 5 minutes once it's boiling.

5. Add in the rice.  I use Mr. Goudas Instant White Rice (the bag with the pink on it).  Leave it for about five minutes once it starts boiling again.



6.  Add the chicken and the green beans.  Once it boils again, leave for about ten minutes.

7.  Pour into bowl.  Add avocado and lemon to taste (I like a lot of each).

Keep in mind that the more rice you add, the less water you'll have.  If you like it soupy, try to start with a lot of water, or just add less rice.  The one cup mentioned here leaves it soupier than I like.  I would prolly use a cup and a half or two.  I prefer it more like stew, with the lemon juice making it soupy.  But I'm weird like that.

So there you have it.  Simple enough, but awesomely tasty.  I know it seems weird, but I promise you, it is incredible.  Best chicken soup ever.  This is what you want if you're sick.  The lemon helps.  Or at least, that's what I tell myself!!



No comments:

Post a Comment